Saturday, July 3, 2010

Day 13 - Sunday July 11, 2010 - Chiang Mai, Thailand

Day 13 - I'm still confused as to what time it is and what day of the week it is. Guess that is part of the purpose of this trip.

To the left: One of the many gorgeous Buddhist temples in Chiang Mai.

Woke up about 7 and got my laundry together and sent it to the hotel to be done. For about $20 they'll do my dirty shirts and pants. Very reasonable.

Called Tim before he went to bed in the US. It's 8:30 pm on Sunday here and 9:30 pm Saturday there. He's excited about our trip to the Greek Isles in another week.

I explored the hotel and went to the fitness center and used their steam room - very relaxing after a full day of travel. Nice facilities at this hotel - it is just a great hotel - so friendly and everyone is so energetic and helpful.

I got dressed and walked to the Thapae Gate where there is a Sunday market. I bought 2 "flower soaps" - bars of shop carved into beautiful colorful flowers. I love them and they smell good. Also bought a post card for the granddaughters and mailed it.

Roamed all through the old city which I didn't get a chance to do the last time I was in Chiang Mai 2 years ago since I was staying at the Four Seasons which was WAY, WAY out of the city. There are temples, temples galore in Chiang Mai. This must be a city of 1,000 temples! They are beautiful. All open. I had to remind 2 English girls that they needed to take off their shoes when they went inside - they were embarrassed but quickly put their shoes outside. (Note to self: Never walk in a temple with your shoes on and always have pants on that at least cover the knees). In the distance up the mountain overlooking Chaing Mai, I can see Wat Doi Suthep where I visited 2 years ago. It is a beautiful - although a very HOT day! I walked around until about 1:30 and then headed back to the Dusit D2 Hotel.

I had a Thai Singha beer at the bar in the lobby and watched the "Change of Shifts Performance" by the staff at 2 pm. About 12 of the staff come out and dance to an energetic song. Half are ending their shift and half are starting their shift. They did this 2 years ago when I was here. A neat and unique tradition. Had a light lunch at the lobby bar and talked to the bartender about Chiang Mai and the challenges of learning Thai - and English. He got out of a language academy 3 months ago and speaks excellent English. I wasn't sure he understood everything I was saying but he was interesting.

I met the tour company representative at the hotel (Worawit) and went over the agenda for tomorrow's trip to Chaing Rai. It will be a very early day as we leave here at 7 am for the drive to Chaing Rai and the Golden Triangle - where Thailand, Laos, and Myanmar meet. My tour guide for tomorrow is "Mr. Lemon Tree"! Interesting name - I'll have to find out where that comes from!

I had a little time for an afternoon nap and then I went back out exploring the old city. I stopped for a well-deserved foot massage. Ah - heaven. The Thai know how to rub your feet! And my feet needed it. It isn't really a gentle massage and at times borders on being pain - but it never hurts. I guess the old saying is true - "It hurts so good". My feet felt so much better when she was finished.

Then I strolled around the Night Market area for a while - they were just setting up and headed back to the Old City. WOW - what a transformation. Where I had been this morning had been transformed into an unbelievably HUGE market. It spans the entire width of the city. They call it the "Chaing Mai Walking Street Market" and they have it every Sunday. It stays open until midnight. I had a great time walking, shopping (no, I didn't buy anything), listening to the various musicians and groups singing. people watching, and sweating. Even though the sun was down, I was sweating profusely as it was SO hot still - and lots of people. They sell just about everything you can imagine but the kitchen sink. Lots of food stands. I spent hours strolling around and just taking it all in. A cultural experience.

I then headed back toward the hotel to the Chaing Mai Night Market which is just around the corner from the D2 Hotel. Not surprisingly, it wasn't crowded or busy - I guess everyone is at the Walking Street Market tonight. The merchants were hawking their wares to anyone who walked by since there were so few shoppers.

Went back to the hotel after 9 and readied things for tomorrow. Watch a little TV and then to sleep as I have to get up at 6 am - ugh!

Another fun day in Chiang Mai - an interesting, friendly, beautiful city.

More to come today . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment