Saturday, July 3, 2010

Day 15 - Tuesday July 13, 2010 - Chiang Mai to Bangkok to Munich to Krakow, Poland




Day 15 - Almost half way through my trip. Still don't know what day of the week it is!
Left: Entrance to Myanmar from the northernmost point of Thailand
Right: My Chaing Mai tour guide, Mr. Lemon Tree! Very knowledgable and fun.

I was up with the sun rising to finish packing, have my morning coffee, check email one more time and check out of the hotel. The Dusit D2 Hotel is really cool - enjoyed staying there and will return some day soon perhaps.





My checkout was effortless and the hotel shuttle driver was waiting to take me to the Chiang Mai Airport. I was a little concerned as they told me I didn't need to even leave the hotel until 90 minutes before the flight - and they were right. The Thai have that process down pat - always so customer focused!





Checked my bag through to Krakow, got through immigration and went to the gate. The plane arrived - a 747 to fly between Chiang Mai and Bangkok - they must bring a lot of people in and out. I was seated in the first class cabin which was really plush - never been there on a 747 before. We were served a light meal and Thai Air redeemed themselves with the food. Service is always immaculate. Arrived in Bangkok right on time - I had a special sticker on my shirt so I got to bypass some of the counters since I was in transit to international leaving the country. It was smooth as silk!




Went to the Executive Lounge in Munich and relaxed for an hour and then headed off to the plane. Today 'm on flights 9, 10 and 11 of 18 and will travel a total of 6,187 miles today.




The Lufthansa flight to Krakow was late and at a remote gate. I read that the Poles have no sense of a "queue" and experienced that at the airport - they butt in line with no apologies or explanation. Oh well. I was one of only 4 people in Business Class from Munich to Krakow and slept. They offered me a meal but I'd already eatten 4 times today!!!! Enough airplane food!




Arrival in Krakow was easy. In immigration. But I got gipped at the currency exchange - apparently during the late hours you don't get a very good rate - should have been $3.14 and they only gave me $2.74. Bummer. Then I found out the taxis charge a 50% premium after 10 pm. Oh well. Welcome to Krakow.




Arrived at the Grand Hotel in the Old City - at least it used to be Grand. Beautiful building but needs updating desperately. Room is spacious and "grand" but just old. Went right to bed after traveling for 22 hours! Excited about seeing Krakow tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment